This salad is a fun and delicious way to use up last year’s pickles, or maybe you are just a pickle junkie like me and have lots of varieties around at all times. Either way, this salad will wake up your taste buds!
Pickles remind me of spring. Perhaps it is because you can find a lot of spring produce pickled, like beets, ramps, fiddleheads, etc. As someone who enjoys canning and preserving, I also know that you better eat last year’s pickles in the spring in order to make room for the new ones you’ll be putting up this year!
Hard-boiled eggs pair well with pickles of any sort, in fact they are so complimentary that many people pickle and preserve eggs themselves, sometimes in conjunction with beets.
In this salad I am combining hard-boiled eggs, cucumber and beet pickles as well as some creamy farmer’s cheese and a few Spanish marcona almonds for extra crunch. Dressed with a homemade honey-mustard herb dressing, this is sure to wake up your taste buds!
Note: I make a variety of herbal infused vinegars to use in my salad dressings, but plain apple cider vinegar goes perfectly. There will be a post later in the summer during harvest time that will feature how to make herb infused vinegars.
If you love pickles like I do and have a variety on hand either that you made, or someone else did, this salad is for you! Enjoy!
UP THE YUM: Making your own salad dressings is not only fun because you get to be inventive and make it exactly to your own taste, but it is also much less expensive and healthier, because you know exactly what goes in it. I save a lot of glass jars and use those to make dressings, among other things.
Wanna make your own pickles too? Try this great recipe:
FEED YOUR CHAKRAS: Root, Heart
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced (learn how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg here)
- ¼ cup pickled beets, sliced or diced
- ¼ cup pickled cucumbers, sliced or diced
- crumble of farmer’s cheese (I used Stinging Nettle Farmer’s Cheese from Sweet Rowan Farms )
- sprinkle of marcona almonds (I love Trader Joe`s Roasted and Salted Marcona Almonds with Rosemary)
- 2 TBS Honey Mustard Herb Dressing (ingredients and method below)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup honey mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
- salt & pepper to taste
- Hard-boil the eggs. While they are cooking, make the dressing and mix the greens with the dressing.
- To Make the Dressing: Put the ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously until well mixed.
- Once the eggs are finished, gently slice them and lay them on the salad (they are probably still warm at this point which is a delicious way to enjoy them on this salad) with the pickles, cheese and almonds, salt and pepper to taste.